Succulent butcher’s shop bangers braised in beer with caramelised onions and creamy chive mash, corr’, sounds good, right?
One of the all-time great comfort dishes, perfect for when those winter nights start drawing in, made extra special by the masterful addition of a Butcombe ale.
Rare breed, part of our classic range, brings full flavour to this dish, with Marris Otter malting barley, aromatic Herefordshire hops and Mendip spring water conspire to create the distinctive golden ale, an ode to Adam Henson’s dedication to sustainable farming and a passion for characterful, artisanal beer. It makes the gravy in this recipe like no-other.
- 200ml of Butcombe Rare Breed
- 200ml Chicken Stock
- 2 tbsp of Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 ‘Banana’ Shallots (finely diced)
- 4 Large Red Onions (halved and sliced)
- 1 tsp of Fresh Thyme
- 20g of Plain Flour
- 12 Pork Sausages
- 50g of Butter
- 5-6 Large Potatoes
- 100ml Double Cream
- Bunch of Chives (finely chopped)
- Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper
- In a large, deep frying pan place 10g of the butter and the sausages, colouring them on all sides. Remove from the pan once they reach a golden brown on all sides and keep warm
- In the same pan add another 10g of butter and the olive oil. Add the onions and shallots and stir on a medium/high heat to soften and caramelise. When soft, add the sugar and stir until they become deeply coloured but not burnt. (Good, deep colour adds flavour and depth to the final gravy)
- Add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and thyme to the gravy, stirring them in well
- Sprinkle over the flour and mix in. Add the chicken stock and beer whilst stirring. The mix will thicken into a rich gravy
- Put the sausages in with the gravy and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until cooked through
- Peel and chop the potatoes, then place them into a pan of water and boil until soft.
- In a small saucepan place the remaining 30g of butter, milk and cream, warming the mix until the butter melts
- Mash the potato, adding the hot milk mixture a little at a time until soft and creamy. Add the chives and season with some salt and pepper.
That’s all! Cosy up with your friends and family and enjoy your heart-warming dish. You can serve up the rest of the Rare Breed and enjoy alongside your bangers and mash, make sure you get enough for your mates too! Head to our brewery shop in Wrington or snap some up online and get it delivered straight to your door!