Happy Veganuary all! We’re kick starting the new year off with some veggie-filled deliciousness that’s sure to brighten up even the gloomiest of January days. Think light fluffy pillows full of flavour laced with rich, nutty pesto and served with scrummy grilled courgettes and sun-dried tomatoes. A dish tasty enough to make even the biggest meat-eater back of the beef…
Unless you haven’t guessed already this dish is both vegan and gluten free, suitable for all!
- 535g Red Desiree potatoes
- 45g Spinach leaves
- 80g Gluten free flour
- Salt to flavour
Hazelnut & Rocket Pesto
- 16g Hazelnuts
- 16g Walnuts
- 16g Pine nuts
- ½ a Garlic clove, crushed
- ½ an avocado
- 25g Rocket
- 15g Basil leaves
- ½ of a Lemon, juice only
- 54ml Olive oil
- 54ml Water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Courgette
- 40ml Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
For the gnocchi:
- Pierce all the potatoes with a fork and then bake in an oven at 180°C for 1 hour or until soft.
- Leave the potatoes to cool until you’re able to handle them. Half them and then scoop out the centres, discarding the skins.
- Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling salted water for 1 minute then refresh them immediately in some ice-cold water.
- When the spinach has cooled, drain and then blitz in a food processor until smooth. You may need to add extra liquid in order to puree.
- Pop the cooked potato into a food processor and blend with the spinach puree, flour and salt.
- Ensure the mix is fully blended before moulding into little gnocchi shapes.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and blanch the gnocchi until they float, then set aside.
For the pesto:
- Blitz the all the nuts in a food processor until fine.
- Add all the other ingredients to the nuts and combine until smooth, season to taste.
For the courgettes:
- Top and tail the courgettes and then cut lengthways into thin slices, take extra care during this process!
- Toss the slices in oil and seasoning and grill.
Let’s bring it all together!
- Heat up a frying pan with a little olive oil and fry the gnocchi until they start to colour.
- Next add the pesto to the pan and stir in.
- Plate up the dish with the gnocchi and pesto in the bottom of the bowl, the grilled courgettes laced on top and scatter the sundried tomatoes and rocket over the top. Et voila!
To accompany your dish why not try a pint of Butcombe Blonde? It marries perfectly with the richness of the pesto and is vegan too! (bottled only)