Pub food, not often synonymous with delicious vegetarian options you may think? But we say no more! We’re proud to serve a massive range of vegetarian, vegan (and gluten free!) options in our pubs and we’re shouting about it this National Vegetarian Week.
From the Pop Eye Mac’n’Cheese at the Pig and Fiddle, creamy macaroni cheese with fresh spinach, garlic mushrooms and caramelised onions topped with truffle oil and a parmesan crumble, to the Bowl Inn’s pumpkin & ricotta ravioli with kale, roasted carrots & squash and a sage & pine nut butter, and the Castle Inn’s vegan Quinoa salad with spiced squash, chickpeas, tahini dressing, toasted almonds and pomegranate. No matter your dietary requirements there will be a delightful, satisfying meal for you available in any of our pubs.
If you can’t wait to get down to the pub to try one of the very delightful dishes we have available, why not try your hand at this perfect spring/summer starter yourself?
Wye Valley asparagus with poached egg, Cardamom crumbs & Crème fraiche
- 10 spears of asparagus
- 40g crème fraiche
- 2 eggs
- 10ml Butcombe beer dressing (see second recipe!)
- 100ml cooking oil
- 10ml white wine vinegar
- 60g natural breadcrumbs
- 20g shelled cardamom
- 10g Malden sea salt
The How To:
- Carefully heat up a pan of oil and add the bread crumbs, stirring them constantly until they are golden brown. Once golden brown, lay them out on a paper towel until dry and oil free. You can immediately drain the oil and discard.
- Pod the cardamom and crush as finely as possible. Then add to the crumbs along with the sea salt and set aside.
- Trim the asparagus, removing the wood at the end and blanche in boiling salted water until cooked al dente
- Meanwhile poach the eggs for 2.5 mins in boiling water with white wine vinegar.
- Dish the asparagus equally onto two plates placing the crème fraiche over the asparagus, and a poached egg on top. Season with the cardamom crumb and drizzle with our Bohemia beer dressing!
Bohemia Beer Dressing
- 1g Fine Sea Salt
- 1g Ground White Pepper
- 5g Wholegrain Mustard
- 5g French Dijon Mustard
- 75ml Sherry Vinegar
- 75ml White Wine Vinegar
- 200ml Butcombe Bohemia
- 200ml Rapeseed Oil
- 25g Caster Sugar
- Mix all the ingredients together until combined and that’s it!
- Store in the fridge ready for use.