Christmas is here and we all know what that means; it’s time to discard the diet and double-down on delectable, delightful festive treats. Mince pies, pigs-in-blankets, cheese boards, fruit cake and Twiglets (which only ever seem to appear at Christmas) – that’s what the season is all about.
At Butcombe though, we believe that there’s always room for one more tradition, so we tasked our chefs with coming up with a seasonal twist on a pub classic.
The result, we’re delighted to say, is a turkey burger which combines the classic burger with huge Christmas flavours like pigs in blankets, mulled wine and even brussels sprouts! Here’s how to make it at home.
Festive Turkey Burger
1 Brioche roll, sliced
Little Gem Lettuce
20g Cranberry & mulled spice sauce
25g Rindless streaky bacon
42g Pigs in blankets
29g Mature cheddar slices
1 Breaded turkey escalope
250g Brussels sprouts
2 Medium carrots
1 Sausage, sage & onion patty
- Begin by preparing your brussels sprout coleslaw. Shell and core 250g of sprouts and place in a food processor along with a small red onion, quartered, and 2 medium carrots, peeled. Add 150ml of mayonnaise and season to taste.
- Place your sausage, sage & onion patty in the oven alongside your pigs in blankets, chips and breaded turkey escalope, ensuring you pay attention to cooking instructions.
- Next, place your rindless bacon in a frying pan, cooking to your preference.
- Arrange your brioche bun on a plate and begin assembling your turkey burger. Sliced gem lettuce should be at the bottom, followed by your cranberry & mulled spice sauce, the turkey escalope, the sausage patty, the mature cheddar slices and, finally, the brussels sprout coleslaw.
- Tip your chips onto the plate and dig in!
It’s a simple, glorious recipe which puts a fun festive spin on a pub classic – the turkey burger. But what do you wash it down with? Why, spiced winter Pimm’s, of course!
It’s a little drink we discovered at our Christmas launch earlier in the year and it certainly got our pub managers in the Christmas spirit, so we thought we’d borrow it to pair with our delightful turkey burger. That is, of course, if you’re all out of Butcombe beers.
Here’s how to make it:
Spiced Winter Pimms
25ml Pimms No1
25ml Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
Red apple (sliced)
- Grab a handled glass
- Into it, measure out 25ml of Pimms No1 and 25ml of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum (or equivalent spiced rum).
- Place your apple juice on a low heat on the hob, ensuring you stop before it begins to boil.
- Top your glass with the hot apple juice.
- Finish with a slice of fresh red apple and serve.
- To scale up, simply multiply ingredients by the number of people being served.
And there you have it, a warming, fruity and fabulously festive cocktail to break out on the big day. Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!